22 C
Tuesday, April 16, 2024
Aliyah InformationIsrael A1 Visa for Temporary Residents.

Israel A1 Visa for Temporary Residents.

Must Read

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Last Updated on October 23, 2021

Israel’s A1 Temporary Resident Visa.

Coat of arms of Israel120

The Israeli Ministry of the Interior will issue an A/1 Temporary Resident visa to a person who is eligible for immigration (Aliyah) and has completed the examination process with an aliyah representative (shaliach) of the Jewish Agency, and whose application has been examined and approved by the diplomatic / consular representative at an Israeli mission.

A1 visas are special tourists visas that allow you an opportunity to live in Israel for up to 3 years, at which time you will be required to make Aliyah.  Before the end of the 3 year period, you can apply for a 2 year extension of your A1 visa.  Therefore the absolute maximum period that you can hold an A1 visa is 5 years.

A1 visas suit young people who wish to come to Israel and experience the Israel lifestyle and vibe before committing to immigration.

The Law of Return

The A1 visa will only be granted to a person eligible for aliyah under the Law of Return. In a nutshell, The Law of Return allows the right of every Jew (according to the definition outlined in the law) to immigrate to Israel.

Entitlements: Teudat Zehut & Travel Documents

Holders of an A1 temporary resident visa are entitled to a special Teudat Zehut (Israel identity card) with an Israeli identity number. They are entitled to work in Israel.  They can register with one of the 4 healthcare providers (kupat holim) via Bituach Leumi (Israel National Insurance).  A1 visa holders are entitled to income tax reductions on income earned in Israel.  They are also entitled to reductions on the purchase tax of certain items (aliyah benefits).

Holders of an A1 visa are not entitled to an Israeli travel document.  They are not entitled to vote in Israeli elections. An Ezrach Oleh (an oleh who has Israeli parents) is not eligible for temporary resident status.

There are 2 ways of obtaining an Israeli A1 Temporary Resident Visa;

1.  From abroad, by applying to your local Israel Aliyah Center of The Jewish Agency for Israel

2  From within Israel at Misrad Hapnim (The Ministry of the Interior)

Documents Required for an A1 Visa Application

  1. Birth certificate
  2. Marriage/Divorce/Death Certificate (if you were married to an Israeli citizen) with apostille certification
  3. A passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you are issued your A-1 visa.
  4. Proof of Judaism – this can be a letter from a recognized Rabbi on an official letterhead confirming that either both your parents, or your mother are Jewish.  In the case of a convert you can provide the official conversion document signed by the Beth Din (Jewish Court).
  5. A letter of good standing – this document issued by the police in your country of origin must certify that you have no criminal background.  Apostille certification must be attached to the Letter of Good Standing (Teudat Yosher)

What is an Apostille?

An apostille is an international certification comparable to a notarization in domestic law, and normally supplements a local notarization of a document.

How to apply for a visa

Print and complete the visa application form and submit it in person, together with the required documents to your local Population and Immigration Authority office (Misrad HaPnim)

Is there a service fee?

Yes, currently 170 NIS

  • We recommend checking the up-to-date fees table.
  • You can pay with your credit card at the authority office, or someone else’s credit card if they are with you in person.
Previous articleIsrael Visas
Next articleWomen’s Spirit
Business Directory

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles