33.1 C
Saturday, June 15, 2024
LegalJewish Marriage in Israel

Jewish Marriage in Israel

Must Read

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Last Updated on December 31, 2021

Getting married in Israel – The Jewish marriage.

Mazaltov! You have finally decided to tie the knot.  There is so much to organize before your big day it’s quite overwhelming.  But amidst the excitement of shopping for a dress, booking  a wedding hall and arranging transport for the cousins from Dimona, you’ll  need to get the boring, mundane paperwork organized.
bride and groom

In order to register for a Jewish marriage you need to open a marriage file (“tik nissuin”) at your local religious council or Rabbinate.  This needs to be done no less than 3 weeks (21 days) prior to the marriage.

If you are over the age of 18 and planning on a Jewish marriage in Israel you must register for marriage with the Israeli Rabbanut (Rabbinate). This is not applicable if you were married outside of Israel, prior to your Aliyah.

What documents do I need to give the Rabbanut?

  1. Teudat Zehut or a passport
  2. Three passport photos for both parties
  3. Birth Certificates
  4. Proof of Judaism – this could be a letter from your Rabbi abroad stating that you are Jewish and born to a Jewish mother.  If you are a convert you will need to provide your official conversion papers.
  5. You will also  have to bring two witnesses who will testify they know both bride and groom as singles.

Are there any other documents I need to provide to the Rabbinate prior to the ceremony?

Depending on your specific circumstances, and where applicable,  you may also be asked to provide a copy of your divorce certificate (“Get”), a death certificate and your parent’s marriage certificate. The Rabbinate will also raise the topic of family purity, instruction and the mikveh as well as the required certifications in this regard.

After the marriage ceremony

After the marriage has taken place you will need to present a copy of your ketubah and your marriage certificate to the Rabbanut.  You will also need to register your marriage with Misrad HaPnim (the Ministry of Internal Affairs) who will update all official records and issue the necessary documentation for your teudat zehut showing your marital status and new name.  Your passport will be stamped with your new name.

Contacting the Offices of the Rabbanut in the main cities

  • 12 HaHavatzelet, Jerusalem – Tel: 02 621 4888
  • 1 Rehov Ori, Tel Aviv – Tel: 03 693 8900
  • 60 Rehov Herzl, Haifa – Tel: 04 864 1187
  • 8 Rehov Ha Telmond, Beer Sheva – Tel: 08 620 4000
Business Directory

More articles

Latest Articles