Meet Kobi Marimi - Israel's contestant in the 2019 Eurovision.
Image Credit: Eurovision TV Gallery
Kobi Marimi's personal and professional life
- Kobi was born in October 1991, the same year as the Gulf War.
- His family are of Iraqi descent.
- He grew up in Ramat Gan and started acting when he was 13 years old.
- Marimi is a professional acting graduate and has appeared in numerous plays. He won the award for the most promising actor in Israel's Musical Theatre Festival in 2017.
- With no professional music experience, he took a chance when he entered 'HaKochav HaBa" - the Israeli version of the hit reality show Rising Star
- Sometimes compared to Freddie Mercury, his look, unique style and vocal capabilities stood him in good stead and he won "HaKochav HaBa" ensuring him a chance to represent Israel at the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest in Tel Aviv.
- Kobi Marimi will be singing 'Home' in the finals of the Eurovision on Saturday, May 18th, 2019 in Tel Aviv
- Single, he lives in Tel Aviv and has previously worked as a host at a pub and a cashier at a movie theater.
- Social media presence - he has around 75,000 Instagram followers and over 12,000 likes on Facebook as well as 6,500 followers on YouTube.
What are the odds of Israel winning the Eurovision in 2019 as well?
Does Israel stand a good chance of winning twice in a row? Not likely this time, but it has happened several times before, and Israel won back-to-back in 1978 and 1979.
Other countries who’ve had consecutive wins include Spain (1968, 1969), Luxembourg (1972, 1973) and Ireland (1992, 1993, 1994 — and then again just two years later in 1996!).