Recipe for zucchini fritters
Hebrew – לביבות קישואים מטוגנים
Recipe easy zucchini fritters which make for a light summer meal. You can also use this recipe during Hanukah as an alternative to potato latkes and other fried foods traditionally eaten during the festival.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 inch oil in a skillet or frying pan
1. Peel the zucchini and grate it into a bowl.
2. Once you have grated the zucchini, squeeze out the liquid as well as you can (you can put a cloth over it and squeeze, though I personally like to squeeze it in my hands and put it into a separate bowl once it’s been squeezed. The more you can squeeze, the better the mixture will be).
3. Grate the onion into the bowl with the zucchini. Add the eggs, flax seed and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Heat the oil in the frying pan. Spoon a small amount of the mixture into the oil. Continue to do so until all are gone (I make 10 latkes from this).
5. Flip the latkes to the other side. When it seems firm, remove and drain on paper towels.
Squeeze the water out of the zucchini as it has an extremely high in water content. The flax seeds aid in absorbing the excess liquid. The latkes can be served with sour cream, apple sauce or smooth white cheese
To make apple sauce:– Peel and core several apples, slice them up and put them in boiling water for around half an hour to an hour (test them to see how soft they are). Drain the excess liquid and then put them through a blender. There is no need to add sweetener, but if you want you can add sugar, honey, silan or an artificial sweetener for a lo-calorie alternative. If you don’t have time for this you can buy ready-made applesauce in the supermarket and then just adjust the flavor to your liking.
- Herbs & Spices of the Israeli Kitchen
- Israel popular food and drink
- Best falafel ever
- More latke and fritter recipes to enjoy
Learn these Hebrew words
|Flax seeds||Zra’ei pishtan||זרעי פשתן|
|Frying pan||Machvat tigun||מחבת טיגון|
|Oil for frying||Shemen L’tigun||שמן לטיגון|