Swapping Details After an Accident
However minor you think a car accident is, you must stop and failing to do so is an offense. Swapping details after an accident with the other driver is possibly the last thing on your mind but it’s the law in Israel and it can protect you later on. It makes sense to exchange as many details as possible. You must exchange your car registration number, name and address, and details of the registered owner if they are different from the driver’s details. If the traffic police are at the scene, you will have to show them your car insurance papers and your driver’s license (which you are supposed have in the vehicle at all times).
Details you should swap after an accident
4 more accident tips
- Take note of the color of the vehicle
- Everyone with a smartphone has a camera so take a video and photographs at the scene of the accident; the damage to the car, the surrounding area. If you do not have a smartphone, draw a sketch.
- Make a note of the weather conditions, plus anything unusual you notice about the road quality or lighting or any other unusual circumstance
- Get contact details (and teudat zehut number) of anyone else who was involved or witnessed the accident as well; pedestrians, onlookers etc.
Keep yourself and Israel’s roads safe – brush-up on this info…
- Israel’s local road signs
- Parking rules and regulations
- Road safety for senior citizens
- Road safety tips – drinking and driving laws
Quick-dial Israel’s Emergency Services
- Detailed emergency service contact information
- How to call the emergency services; Hebrew, English and transliterations