Slow Cooked Chicken with Mushrooms, Olives & Baby Potatoes
Tired of the same-old, same-old recipes your mother and grandmother made year after year for Pesach? Cooking enthusiasts and foodies might have seen this one on Facebook. Distinctly similar to a traditional Moroccan recipe (without the mushrooms), the flavors in this recipe were distinct; the herbs, salty olives and slight acidity from the tomatoes were full bodied and well rounded with the wine.
Image credit: Splendid Table
- 1 chicken cut up into portions
- Little potato flour (1/4 cup) for sifting over chicken
- 1 tblsp chicken soup powder
- Little oil for frying
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 3 sticks of celery finely sliced
- 1 tsp crushed fresh garlic
- 400 g mushrooms
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup Fresh chicken stock or one cube in 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 1 Tblsp dried Oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 olives in brine (optional) (pips removed, drained and cut in half)
- 2 Tblsp tomato paste or 1 cup ripe chopped tomatoes
- 18 baby potatoes
- Dust chicken pieces with potato flour and chicken stock spice
- Fry chicken over medium to high heat until golden brown, remove chicken and place into ovenproof dish or crockpot covered.
- To the same pot in which you fried the chicken, add a little more oil and fry onions, peppers, celery and garlic.
- After about five minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to fry until the moisture starts to evaporate from the mushrooms de-glazing all the lovely flavors and brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil so that the alcohol boils out.
- After five minutes of boiling and stirring add the chicken stock and stir
- Add oregano, rosemary,bay leaf and olives and give it a good stir.
- Remove from heat and add tomato paste or 1 cup ripe red chopped tomatoes.
- Stir well and pour sauce and vegetables over the chicken with potatoes in the crockpot. If you don’t have a Pesach crockpot, then place into an aluminum dish or ovenproof dish, add potatoes, and cover.
- Bake for 1 hour at 180ºC then remove the cover and bake for another 30 mins until sauce thickens and chicken turns golden brown OR Place into crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours then reduce to low for another hour.
- 12 olives in this dish are almost too few to notice, add more and use both green and black salty olives
- Serve with wedges of lemon