Likud vs Blue & White – the two main players in Israel’s elections, March 2nd, 2020. Some fast facts…
We were asked to prepare an outline of the two main players in Monday’s election; Likud and Blue & White. We’ve put this article together and are sharing it with you in the hope that it will help you make your important decision.
Brief history of the Likud party
- Founded in 1973.
- In the political map, Likud identifies itself as right-wing.
- The Likud began as a joint list comprised of Herut, the Liberal party, the Free Center, the State List, and the Labor Movement for a Greater Israel.
- In 1988, these parties merged to form one party, which was also called the Likud.
- The first time the Likud came to power was in 1977 and headed by Menachem Begin. It remained in power until 1984.
- In 1996, the Likud returned to head the government under the leadership of Bibi Netanyahu – his first term of office.
- In 2009 the Likud won the elections again with Netanyahu as party leader. This marked the start of the second Netanyahu government.
- In total Bibi Netanyahu has headed the Likud party (as Prime Minister) for 14 years.
- Prominent leaders of the Likud over the years: Menachem Begin, Yitzchak Shamir, Benjamin Netanyahu, Ariel Sharon, David Levy, Moshe Arens, Yitzhak Moda’i, Moshe Nissim, Dan Meridor, Ehud Olmert, Moshe Katzav and Silvan Shalom
- Party representative letters: מחל
The Likud’s basic platform…
Unlike Blue & White, no official party platform was available on the Likud website.
The Israel Democracy Institute outlines the Likud’s platform as follows:-Likud has traditionally supported the idea of the whole Land of Israel, even if it has not always defined the state’s borders precisely. Although it refused to recognize Palestinian demands for sovereignty for a long period of time, the Likud has since moderated its stand. The Likud agreed to concessions in the Camp David Accords in 1979, began negotiations with the Palestinians during the Madrid Conference in 1991, continued the implementation of the Oslo accords, and unilaterally disengaged from the Gaza Strip in 2005, when it evacuated the Jewish settlements in that area.
On socio-economic issues, the Likud has right-wing, conservative views and advocates a free market. Despite this, however, the Likud enjoys the support of economically disadvantaged populations. The Likud has taken steps to privatize the economy, while at the same time setting a minimum wage, passing the State Pension Law, etc. On issues of religion and state, the Likud has centrist views. Although it is a secular party, the religious parties consider it to be a more comfortable coalition partner than the Alignment or the Labor Party.
Brief history of the Blue & White party
- Founded in 2019 it was established in the run-up to the 2019 elections
- Blue and White identifies itself as a Zionist Liberal party located in the center of the political map
- Blue & White is a joint list comprising of the Israel Resilience Party, Telem and Yesh Atid.
- Previously the leaders of these 3 parties were Benny Ganz, Moshe Ya’alon and Yair Lapid.
- Party’s representative letters: פה
Blue & White’s basic platform…
Blue & White promotes the right of all Israelis to live with dignity, security, prosperity and freedom
Blue and White believes that maintaining the strength of the IDF and security forces must be accompanied by diplomacy. In its struggle against Hamas and the Islamic Jihad, Israel will initiate and not be reactive. The Golan Heights are an inseparable part of the State of Israel. Blue and White will engage in a serious and ongoing effort to bring home the POWs and MIAs.
Blue and White is committed to integrity, to the rule of law, to fairness and to a systematic and uncompromising fight against government corruption. Will limit the tenure of the prime minister. Increase government transparency.
Blue & White believe in an economic vision that focuses on growth and improving productivity alongside reducing poverty. Will introduce additional sectors of the population to the high-tech labor market – first and foremost the Haredi and the Arab populations. Fighting the root causes of the high cost of living is at the top of their list of priorities. Advance the status of women in the labor market. Will change the retirement age.
Blue and White undertakes to lead the country to become one of the most advanced education systems in the world. The values at its center will be excellence and equality. In order to realize this vision, they will advance strategic goals which are key to improving the system and bringing it up to the level of global excellence.
Will increase the investment in health infrastructure and the expenditure on public health services in Israel. We will adjust the health care basket to the needs of a growing population and to opportunities that provide new medicines and medical technologies. will design the healthcare system so that it will become a national growth engine encouraging innovation, development and research in the Israeli economy as a whole.
Blue and White will preserve the Jewish identity of the state alongside the realization of the right of every person and community to shape their way of life in freedom and tolerance
More details here: https://kachollavan.org.il