The Israel basket of health services – Sal HaBriut
Hebrew: סל הבריאות
The Basket of Health Services, Health Basket, Sal HaBriut or Sal Sherutei Briut in Hebrew, all refer to a range of essential medical services that the Israel health-funds are obligated, by law, to provide to their members. The Health Basket also includes treatments, medications and equipment.
The Health Basket is defined by law and does not differ from health-fund to health-fund. The Health Basket is reviewed from time to time and revisions or changes can be made. When changes are made it could happen that the medication you have been taking for a period of time, is no longer covered in the Health Basket, and it has been replaced with something similar.
Services included in the Health Basket are provided free or at a reduced cost. In effect, you may be responsible for a percentage of your prescription cost (between 10% – 90%), a doctor’s visit or other examinations or diagnostic procedures. If a medication or service is not included in the Health Basket, you will have to cover the costs on your own.
The health-funds are obliged to provide the following services as outlined by the Ministry of Health – Misrad HaBriut
- Visits to clinics, consultations, diagnosis, treatments from family doctors, specialists and para-medics
- Hospitalization and emergency room services
- Laboratory services either within the health-fund or if necessary through an outside facility. The lab costs may be covered partially or fully.
- Certain medical equipment
- Certain diagnostic procedures including x-rays and scans
- Paramedical services like physiotherapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy.
Please note: All diagnostic and treatment procedures are provided upon a physician’s referral only.
Need to know if something is in the Health Basket?
Consult with your doctor, contact your Health Fund or the MOH for more detailed information.