Pouding Alsacien (Gratin of Sautéed Apples) – Julia Child
|Julia Childs’ recipes gained popularity after the movie Julie & Julia. From her book “Mastering the Art of French Cooking – comes this recipe for Pouding Alsacien (Gratin of Sautéed Apples). Some of the recipes in her cookbook are complicated, but this one is easy to follow and quite delicious.|
Add a bit of spice to your traditional apple based recipes for the Jewish New Year holiday – Rosh Hashanah or prepare this desert for Shabbat dinner or any other special occasion.
You can make a parev version of this recipe by swapping the butter with parev margarine.
7 cups cored and peel apple slices
4 – 5 tablespoons butter to sauté the apples (or parev margarine)
¾ cup plum jam (forced through a sieve)
2 tablespoons rum
4 tablespoons butter (parev margarine)
½ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 cup bread crumbs
2 egg whites
Pinch of salt
½ tablespoon sugar
Festive recipes for Jewish holidays
Herbs & spices of the Israeli kitchen
Popular Israel food & drink
Hot chocolate served with apple gratin – ideal comfort food
1. Preheat the oven to 325C degrees F/160. Lightly butter a 9×9 baking dish
2. Melt 4 – 5 tablespoons butter/margarine in a skillet. Sauté the apples, one layer at a time, in the hot butter until they are very lightly browned on both sides and tender, but retain their shape. As they are done, place them in the baking dish.
3. Melt the plum jam in the skillet with the rum. Delicately fold into the apples, and smooth the apples in the dish.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, then the flour and cinnamon, then the bread crumbs.
5. Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Fold the egg whites into the bread-crumb mixture and spread evenly over the apples.
6. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the top has puffed slightly and has just begun to color.
7. Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar and continue baking another 20 – 25 minutes. The top should be golden brown under the sugar.
8. Allow to cool.
Serve the dessert with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream